Monday, May 25, 2009

Mixed feelings are gone...

In my life to this point, uncertainty in myself has not been a problem for me. I had 5 minutes of uncertainty when I chose a college, maybe a minute and a half while deciding to break up with someone over their parents, and like, .2 seconds when I was buying my first car. In this regard, this moving 4,000 miles away business was the most uncertain I have been about anything ever. Days and days of uncertainty- hard to deal with when you are so unacustomed to the feeling... I know that it was the right choice though- I had to get away from there- I just wasn't ready to emotionally accept it. Now I am- and I have. Good riddance- see you when and IF I am ready to come back. Uncertainty, thou art banished from my life forever.


Meanwhile, Alaska is quite lovely. I have never lived near mountains, or even really been near mountains this large. Oooohh! Ooooh! For the first time on this blog...photo courtesy of me!
Flew in last night at like...11:30 and Mo picked me up. I knew it was going to be light still, but actually experiencing it was a little bit strange. Flying in near sunset over the mountains was just beautiful because everything reflects the shades in the sunset.
I could not sleep on the plane because I was looking out the window the entire time. We flew right over Glacier N.P. in NW Montana, too...lovely as well. Tragically the Colorado Rockies were obscured by clouds, but no matter.
During that part of the trip I read a very interesting graphic novel, which is not typically a format I enjoy, but this was an exception. The Photographer is a true story about the man who had the nerve to follow the first medecins sans frontiers (Dr.s w.o Borders) into Afghanistan during the 1986 war with Russia, and definitely into harms way...good book- pick it up, enjoy.
Today Mo and I took a little walk down by the coast and up the trails into downtown. There are a lot of magpies here...and cormorants... who have a somewhat unpleasant call. More on that later.

1 comment: